Friday, April 10, 2009

Free Time

It is some what of a routine for Jer, Travis and myself to meet mid-morning on a weekday for a hot sweet cup of latted mochachino carmel macchiato americano at one of the fine midtown coffee shops. We generally spend a ridiculous amount of time and money chewing the fat and avoiding something more productive. Why do we do this? Cause we can! 

4 weeks ago I joined Jer and Randy Braley at my favorite place, The Filling Station. Randy was expressing his wish/goal to make photography his full time gig, so that he would have more flexibility and free time with his life. While sipping my mocha at 10:23 a.m. on a Tuesday I deeply exhaled and broke the news to Randy, free time is highly overrated. Going to the park on a weekday is not very enjoyable when you are the only person there to enjoy the trees budding, and the flowers blossoming. If you were to go mountain biking by yourself at noon on a Wednesday you would not see another rider on the trails. Sounds nice doesn't it? Not really, what happens when you taco your wheel going through a rock garden, knock all of your teeth out and lose consciousness only to be dragged off by coyotes. Those things just don't happen in the evenings and on the weekends when the trails are clogged with cubicle workers. Climbing in Arkansas during the week is horrible. For instance, last week Jeremy and I climbed Tues-Thurs at Sams. We only saw one other group of 2, it gets pretty lonely sharing all of that perfect sandstone with nobody.

So for those of you who have always wondered what it would be like to have weekdays free. It is very highly overrated. Keep your desk job kid!

6 comments:

  1. Jesse-

    Funny how when you don't have something you desire it and when you do have it, it seems overrated.

    Try sitting at your day job while you know your friends are eihter spending 3-weeks in Patagonia or even just spending a few days in Arkansas climbing away from the crowds. Indeed it does sound pretty good to me.

    This world has so much to offer and I don't want to miss any of it because of a job...I'm a dreamer I know...Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jesse, I agree buddy. I'm Tues Wed and Thurs in the office. My Mondays and Fridays are spent in coffeee shops on the computer, just to be around people and get out of my place. Or out climbing/riding/shooting!!!
    It's overrated..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but it sure sounds nice to sit in a coffee shop at 10:23am instead of my bland cube. The grass is always greener! I know what you mean about climbing with no one else. I once spent 2 days alone at Sams and only saw one couple going out for a hike. No one to belay and no one to talk to :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today I rode my long board to Liberty Memorial and had lunch in the sunshine with Randy. Jus Sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, What about me? I like coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's Friday morning and I'm sitting in my cube...Jesse on the other hand is climbing at Cliff Drive w/ his bros - I'm just sayin ;-)

    ReplyDelete